Throughout the States, June is recognized as PRIDE Month, a vibrant and empowering celebration of the LGBTQ+ community.
It’s a time when individuals of all backgrounds come together to honor diversity, promote equality, and raise awareness about the struggles and triumphs of the LGBTQ+ community around the globe.
It’s crucial that we all take the time to understand the significance of PRIDE Month and learn how we can become positive allies.
To help you out, we’ve put together a short write-up on the essence of PRIDE Month and explored how we can contribute to fostering a more inclusive society.
What is PRIDE Month?
PRIDE Month traces its roots back to the Stonewall Uprising in June 1969, a turning point in the LGBTQ+ civil rights movement.
This event marked the beginning of a series of protests against discrimination and police harassment. PRIDE Month commemorates the bravery and resilience of those who fought for LGBTQ+ rights and continue to advocate for equality today.
It is a time to celebrate EVERYONE – regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity – and to welcome the rich diversity within the LGBTQ+ community.
Why do we celebrate PRIDE Month?
PRIDE Month is more than just a parade or a festival: It symbolizes unity, acceptance, and progress.
By celebrating PRIDE Month, we acknowledge the contributions and struggles of LGBTQ+ individuals throughout history. It’s an opportunity to highlight the ongoing fight for equality and to create a society where everyone feels safe and valued.
PRIDE Month reminds us that love is love, and everyone deserves to live authentically and without fear of discrimination.
What Does it Mean to Be a Positive Ally?
An ally is a person who supports and advocates for a marginalized group that they do not personally belong to.
In the context of LGBTQ+ issues, an ally is someone who actively stands up for the rights and well-being of the LGBTQ+ community, even if they are not LGBTQ+ themselves.
Allies strive to create an inclusive and accepting environment by challenging discrimination, promoting equality, and amplifying the voices of LGBTQ+ individuals.
Allies play a crucial role in fostering a more inclusive society by actively supporting and uplifting marginalized communities.
3 Ways to Be a Positive PRIDE Ally
There are many ways to be a positive ally to those who need your support. Below are three you can explore this month and find ways to add to your actions all through the year:
- Educate Yourself: Understanding the experiences, challenges, and achievements of the LGBTQ+ community is crucial in becoming a positive PRIDE ally. Take the initiative to read books and articles or watch documentaries exploring LGBTQ+ history, rights, and culture. Engaging in dialogue with LGBTQ+ individuals and attending educational events or workshops can deepen your knowledge and empathy.
- Amplify LGBTQ+ Voices: Stand up for the LGBTQ+ community by using your platform to amplify their voices. Share educational resources, stories of inspiration, and affirming messages on social media. Remember to use inclusive language, avoid stereotypes, and respect people’s preferred pronouns. By lending your voice to the cause, you contribute to breaking down societal barriers and creating a more accepting world.
- Advocate for LGBTQ+ Rights: As an ally, it’s essential to support LGBTQ+ rights and fight against discrimination actively. Get involved with local LGBTQ+ organizations or student clubs. Participate in peaceful protests, sign petitions, or write to your elected officials to advocate for laws that protect the rights of the LGBTQ+ community. Encourage your school to create inclusive policies and establish safe spaces for LGBTQ+ students. By taking a stand, you help pave the way for a more inclusive society.
Where to Find Out More
Keen to keep learning? There are numerous resources available! Below we’ve collated just a few:
- Visit LGBTQ+ community centers in your area or check their websites for information on events, workshops, and support groups.
- Read books and memoirs by LGBTQ+ authors. Your local library or bookstore can help (and most will have a dedicated PRIDE section this month to showcase some great books in this area!)
- Explore online platforms dedicated to LGBTQ+ advocacy, such as the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and GLAAD, which provide educational resources, news updates, and ways to get involved.
- Engage with LGBTQ+ activists, influencers, and organizations on social media. Follow their accounts to stay informed and show your support.
If you’re just starting to explore your employment options and want to ensure you work for an organization with a positive diversity and inclusion policy, we have you covered!
Our employer partners who’ve showcased how they proactively provide support and programs for diverse teams earn different badges on their profiles to help you know who’s doing what.
Look out for the LGBTQIA+ badge in the top right corner of their profile tab!