Location:Tarboro, North Carolina
Closing:March 31, 2024
Working for Sara Lee:
Sara Lee Frozen Bakery became a stand-alone company in 2018 when it was purchased by Kohlberg and Company (private equity) from Tyson Foods. We have the feel of start up in many ways, though we are an established brand with a strong customer and consumer base. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, continually seek process improvements and a strong sense of customer service, then this is the right type of environment for you.
Our vision is to be the world’s most beloved bakery by creating irresistible foods, growing with our customers, and delivering value for all. We believe that each of us has unique points of difference and experience to offer. We believe that there is always a better way, and we will never be satisfied with status quo. We believe simplicity enables speed. We believe in integrity above all. We live for food, and we “wow” consumers and customers through collaboration and innovation.
Summary: This position is responsible for ensuring that product meets all quality and food safety standards set forth by corporate and local food safety policies and procedures, and federal regulatory authorities. The Food Safety and Quality Assurance Lead Technician is responsible for performing all Food Safety / Quality Departmental practices such as collecting and interpreting SPC and SQC data daily, performing and recording results from all production and packing line audits for HACCP, GMP, and weights and defects, and assisting in educating all plant employees in the practices of producing safe edible goods. They also inform the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Supervisor and Manager of all out of compliance materials and conditions in the facility and contain all non-conforming products and materials, and isolate and hold all substandard ingredients, sub-assemblies, and finished goods. The Food Safety and Quality Assurance Lead Technician also assists R&D with special testing and containment of test products and provides product weight and process control data analysis support to production and other key management personnel daily. Finally, they also perform environmental sampling and work closely with microbiology laboratory personnel by providing samples for micro testing, while participating in LEAN activities and providing support as necessary. Duties include; conduct pre-shipment review at specified frequencies throughout shift, gather and bake finished products for daily performance evaluation against specifications, assist R&D with determining product specifications and writing finished product specs and photo standards, perform analysis of raw materials to ensure ingredients are received within specifications by grades, physical and organoleptic testing and micro sampling, monitor ingredient storage in warehouse for proper rotation and usage of materials, capable of performing Trace / Recall on all materials for potential recall at any time, perform weekly audits (as scheduled) to ensure systems and policy compliance including GMP’s, line audits and formula compliance, review, maintain and suggest upgrades for all established quality programs and policies on a regular basis, monitor all aspects of the Allergen Program including continual training, awareness, and segregation of materials to prevent cross contamination, assist with all private and governmental audits at Traverse City facility, and bake, prepare and cut product samples as required and set up formalized daily panels and other product cuttings for customers or audits.
This position requires the daily coordination and communication between food safety & quality assurance, operations and all applicable support staff at the facility Also, as part of their daily duties, the Food Safety & Quality Assurance Lead Technician will need to inspect value streams and processes for compliance with standards, determining methods to resolve any issues that arise. Flexible hours required, dependent on departmental needs. Additional duties include; Provide team leadership and support through daily actions, coaching, and guidance to staff, participate in reviewing plant microbiology lab monitoring programs, help maintain compliance of HACCP, SSOP plans and QA and Manufacturing programs for the plant, and execute process control audits and recognize deviations. This position will help organize SQF training, to include scheduling weekly QA trainings and implement processes to review Standardized Work to align with Quality and Food Safety policies and procedures. Assist with the HAACP verification and reviews for all areas of plant and coordinates and clarifies the QA policies and procedures. They are the lead or participate in Root Cause problem solving events at the facility and ensure compliance with all plant related KPI’s.
- 3 years food processing experience preferred
- 1-3 years management experience preferred
- 1-3 years’ experience with food safety and quality programs preferred
- Familiar with USDA/FSIS and/or FDA labeling policies and processing requirements, preferred
- HACCP / SQF certification preferred
- BS degree – Food Science or related field, preferred
- Technical Skills: demonstrates the technical / functional skills to complete job responsibilities. This includes – knowledge of regulations (FSMA and FDA), global standards, formulations (science/chemistry), food microbiology, sanitation, R&D process, and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Leading Others: ability to get work done through others; effective at managing and developing individuals and teams
- Project Management: ability to manage people and projects – simple to complex
- Influencing Skills: ability to build relationships, influence, and collaborate, within and across departments
- Leadership Presence: demonstrates managerial courage, resolves conflicts, and communicates well with all levels in the organization
- Ability to work different shifts as needed.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in a cold and wet environment
- Ability to work in a hot and humid environment
- Ability to climb stairs
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Must wear protective clothing including steel toed shoes
- Take appropriate action to ensure the integrity and sustained certification of the SQF system
- Responsible for reporting and taking any necessary action to prevent food safety and food quality problems from occurring
- Responsible for following and enforcing procedures outlined in the Food Safety Plan and the Food Quality Plan and any other programs that support the SQF system and other 3rd party audits
- During absences temporary coverage for this position will be determined by plant management.
Travel: 10% travel
Reports To: Food Safety Quality Assurance Manager