Closing:Closing in 4 hours
The American Trucking Associations (ATA), the nation’s leading trade and lobby association representing the trucking industry, is currently seeking a Transportation Policy Specialist.
This role will support the Vice-President of Safety Policy in promoting and defending the interests of ATA’s members on driver and carrier safety issues as well as providing technical assistance to members seeking to understand and comply with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs).
The incumbent will serve as a staff specialist on driver and motor carrier safety issues and prepare issue summaries, whitepapers, regulatory public comments, testimony, and other documents to help members understand and comply with the FMCSRs and to support both regulatory and legislative advocacy efforts.
An ideal candidate for this position will be an analytical minded individual who enjoys research and writing, and has a firm understanding of the transportation industry specific to commercial vehicle safety and compliance. The position will interact with Federal and State Agencies and as such, will require an understanding of the regulatory policy and legislative process. The incumbent will have the opportunity to directly impact the well-being of ATA members and improve highway safety.
This position interacts with ATA members, state trucking association executives and their staffs, other Policy and Regulatory Affairs staff, ATA’s Legislative Affairs Division staff, ATA conferences and councils, and government officials.
Travel Requirements: 15-25%
- BA/BS degree.
- 1-5 years’ experience in either relevant government/private sector experience in advancing legislative and regulatory initiatives, or experience in the commercial-transportation industry.
- Policy and advocacy experience in transportation and/or safety and security related areas and/or an advanced degree in public policy/administration preferred.
- Proven experience in policy analysis and writing experience to communicate complex regulatory and legislative initiatives in straightforward language.
- Knowledge of FMCSRs and the federal regulatory process required; familiarity with PHMSA and OSHA regulations desirable.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral); excellent presentation skills for both large and small groups.
- Capability to communicate complex regulatory and legislative initiatives in straightforward language skill.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Solid presentation skills for both large and small groups
- Strong ability for consensus-building
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Must have strong organizational, time and project management abilities
- Maintain high attention to detail with the ability to work under short deadlines
Must have the ability to work independently and with a team