Virginia Department of Social Services
People Helping People
The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is a state-supervised and locally administered social services system. Providing oversight and guidance to 120 local offices across the state, VDSS delivers a wide variety of services and benefits to over 1.7 million Virginians each year.
VDSS’ programs are designed to help Virginia’s most vulnerable citizens find permanent solutions to life’s many challenges. The Department is responsible for administering a variety of programs, including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, Adoption, Child Care Assistance, Refugee Resettlement Services, and Child and Adult Protective Services.
Our goal is to promote the well-being of our citizens through the delivery of essential services and benefits to ensure families are strengthened and individuals achieve their highest level of self-sufficiency.
Social Services employment opportunities are available at the state (Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) and local levels (Local Departments of Social Services (LDSS).
The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) engages families for success. We are an employer of choice with approximately 1,700 positions within the VDSS and over 8,300 employees who currently work with LDSS.
We are looking for individuals who want to help people triumph over poverty, abuse and neglect to shape strong futures for themselves, their families and communities.
Top 5 reasons for choosing a career in Virginia State Government
- People – the opportunity to work with talented, caring, and committed co-workers.
- Advancement Opportunities– opportunities to move up, laterally, or build your skill set.
- Work-Life Balance – ability to work alternate schedules, telework, and time away from work for family and personal interests and needs.
- Benefits – an excellent package of benefits to help you take care of you and your family.
- Location – state government careers exist in locations across the Commonwealth
To design and deliver high quality human services that help Virginians achieve safety, independence and overall well-being.
Working for Virginia state government means working with others who care about making a difference in our communities across the Commonwealth. It is about providing programs, creating infrastructure, and working with people to provide services and programs to Virginia’s citizens. It is about making Virginia the best – the best place for business, the best place to visit, and the best place to live!
A Commonwealth in which all Virginians have the resources and services they need to shape strong futures for themselves, their families and their communities.
benefits to state employees from health benefits to paid leave and flexible work schedules.
Below is a list of some of the benefits available to eligible state employees:
- Telework and Alternate Work Schedules
- 12 paid holidays
- Paid Leave
- Health Benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Care Insurance
- Deferred Compensation
- Capitol Square Healthcare
- Employee Assistance Program
- Education Assistance
- Public Service
- Student Loan Forgiveness
Explore the principles that guide us.
- Uphold our commitment to the Commonwealth by working each day
- To create better outcomes for the individuals, families and communities we serve
- Demonstrate service, respect and compassion in every interaction
Commit to Excellence
- Perform high-quality work with integrity, civility and accountability
- Seek opportunities to advance the agency’s mission, goals and objectives and continually improve performance across the entire social services system
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity, leverage diversity, and promote inclusion and equity in our work and relationships with colleagues, customers, stakeholders and partners
- Enter relationships with the intent to honor their beliefs
What You Should Know…
- Student Loan Repayment Bonus
Average student loan debt has increased 60 percent since 2007. To assist employees, the Commonwealth offers a one-time bonus of up to $10,000 for new hires or re-hires to accept employment or for current employees to continue employment. Positions must be identified as critical, difficult-to-fill/retain. See Additional information…
- Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness
Employment at an agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia, may qualify you to receive student loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). Learn more to see whether you might qualify!
- Cybersecurity Public Service Scholarship Program
The purpose of the Cybersecurity Public Service Scholarship Program is to support students who are pursuing an education in programs specifically designed for careers in cybersecurity defense. Students who receive the scholarships — up to $20,000 a year for two years — must commit to work for the Commonwealth of Virginia for one year for each year they receive a scholarship.
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process (AHP). The AHP is established as part of a comprehensive strategy to increase employment of individuals with disabilities within state government, which offers a non-competitive path to state employment.
See Frequently Asked Questions for Applicants here.
There are currently no jobs available
Unfortunately there are currently no positions available at Virginia Department of Social Services, please check back soon.